Thank you for your reply. I followed the instructions provided in the link , in order to configure the WZC, but I am still unable to get an automatic connection to the network at reboot. Here is what I do:
1. I right-click on the Linksys icon (bottom tray on desktop) and choose: "Use Windows XP wireless configuration"
2. Click on Start on Desktop, right click on My Network places/Properties to get the Network connections screen.
3.Here there are two connection icons:
one, with a red cross, reading "
Local Area Connection , Network cable unplugged, Realtek RTL 8139/810x
Fast Ethernet. " . I don't know what this is, but it has always been there and it never bothered me.
There is also a 2nd icon always showing the Linksys name, but with an interrogation mark and a caption " Validating Identity". I thought this is because the WEP key is still missing. So, I continue:
4. Right click on Properties.
5. On the Wireless Networks Connections Properties screen, I click on the Wireless Networks Tab. My Network name is there.
6. I click in Properties to enter the WEP key . I do get the connection either by manually re-entering the same Wep key I have on the Linksys configuration or by letting Windows select the WEP automatically. HOWEVER , I am back to square one because when I reboot the computer, it can't re-connect automatically and I have to redo it alloveragain.
The instructions you provided mention that both the router and the adapter should be Linksys, but my router is D-Link and I wouldn't want to replace just for this. Is this perhaps part of the problem?
I'd appreciate any further cues you may have