Sometimes, when we locked out of the computer due to forgetting or lost the password that we realize the importance of the password reset disk. Many people search the internet to find how to make a password reset disk when they forgot Windows password. Here take Windows XP system for example. This tutorial will show you 2 useful ways to make a XP password reset disk when you locked out.
Way 1: Ophcrack XP Live CD
Ophcrack is an open source program that recovers passwords based on rainbow tables. When forgot Windows XP password, you can use the program to make a password reset disk.
1. Log in any available computer not yours (as you’ve locked out of the computer), download the tool and install it.
2. Then burn the program to a blank CD/DVD.
3. Make sure your computer can boot from the disk, and insert it to reset the password
Ophcrack is quite useful, but it doesn’t promise you to reset the password successful, then you may need the second way
Way 2: Windows Password Key
Make a password reset disk with Windows Password Key, which allows you to burn the program to a blank CD/DVD or USB flash drive to reset the password in a few clicks. Unlike Ophcrack live CD, this program promise 100% password recovery, so there is no need to worry about. The making process is just like Ophcrack
First, you need to find another available computer or laptop but remember not your locked one. Prepare a blank CD/DVD, or a 2 GB USB flash drive.
Then download Windows Password Key in the computer and install it. Launch the program, and select to burn to CD or USB then hit Convert, a few minutes, you can have you XP password reset disk.
Then use the disk to reset your password
1. Set the BIOS to use the disc as your primary boot device.
2. Insert the disc and boot your Windows XP from it.
3. When Windows starting, you’ll see the program is Initializing, a black dos appears, choose the right number to select the account name to reset the password. When finish, it will show you a dialogue about your account password has been removed or reset.
4. Restart your computer, then you can use the account to log in.
XP password reset disk is really helpful if you forgot the password; try to make a disk to solve your problem when you locked out of the computer.